Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Cut-Away View


The university thesis paper I never wrote but wanted to have written was a metaphorical examination of Ronald Reagan's political doings at that time--the Iran/Contra scandal and the beginnings of deregulation at the highest levels of the economy and government.  The metaphor symbolic of Reagan was to have been a very successful married man, carrying on multiple affairs, enjoying plenty of high-end consumption and rough trade relations. Thematic inspiration for my observations and final analysis was provided by Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders and her song, Time the Avenger.

Tough for me to get the big ideas down on paper, let alone wrapping them around my flighty head in those halcyon days...and I was too damn busy making a mess of my own quasi-conjugal relations.

Neither the hard driving beat of Chrissie's song never left me, nor did my critical eye towards political and economic events.  But I did leave the enthusiasm for British cars behind then, and have since embraced their Italian brethren.

Pat Braden's book The Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible has been a great resource along the way. He begins his book with an eloquent and honest warning about the very real dangers of auto-
mobile repair and restoration--in short, that great bodily harm might occur to the unwary, the negligent or the incompetent.

Pat's Bible is the one I'll turn to when I'm explaining politics and economics to my daughter.  If these constructs are the engines of our society which propel us forward into the future, then it is to her benefit to remain aware and mindful of their power.  The political economy machine, just like a Ferrari 12 cylinder,  can be a unwieldy beast at the best of times. 

Or it can be a completely unforgiving Ponzi scheme at the worst of times.  Impassive acceptance is no longer appropriate--vigilance and accountability are.  Time the Avenger is still knocking, and not just on Ronnie's door anymore.  For the sake of all of us who haven't heard it [the knocking] yet, cue the 8 count drum solo, Chrissie!

More good food for thought here from Joseph Stiglitz in the current Vanity Fair.

Or here from Michael Lewis, author of Liar's Poker.

And here's one more interesting perspective.  Better to know than not know!

It is indeed right and salutary that we have the annual reminder of "Light amidst the Darkness" at this time.  I wish that you, dear reader, and I carry it forward together for ourselves and our children.  Peace.


No comments: